Investigative journalist Gary Webb was a friend of ours. And he was a damn fine reporter and writer. Gary was all you could ask for in a journalist: tough, unafraid, and honest as the day is long. He lived his life to be a check on the powerful, like any good investigative journalist worth his salt.Sometimes the only thing more damning than getting the story wrong is getting the story right.
Well, in 1996 he wrote a series of articles for the San Jose Mercury-News on the CIA and that agency's complicity in the cocaine trade in southern California in the 1980s. It wasn't flawless journalism, but it told a very important story, and in fact it prompted an investigation by the CIA's inspector general which subsequently confirmed the pillars of Webb's findings. But the funny thing is that Webb was driven from journalism because of that series.
Rather than extending Webb's story by doing their own reporting, major newspapers instead turned on him and were more determined, it seemed, to attempt to undermine and discredit Webb's reporting. Indeed, the ombudsman for The Washington Post at the time, Geneva Overholser, wrote that her own paper and other major media had "shown more passion for sniffing out the flaws in the Mercury News's answer than for sniffing out a better answer themselves." In so doing, these newspapers relied on many official sources, which is odd considering the subject of Webb's stories.
One can only guess as to their motivations.
In any event, Webb was abandoned by his own paper and could not find work in journalism after that. In September 1998, this magazine published the story of what happened to Gary Webb. Written by Charles Bowden and entitled "The Pariah," it is posted below. Esquire is also very proud to have published Webb's return to investigative journalism, a definitive and exclusive piece on a DEA-run program called "Operation Pipeline" which was a program of official racial profiling, and which involved law enforcement all over the country. Webb's piece, entitled "Driving While Black," was followed a year later by a New York Times story on Operation Pipeline in which the Times took credit for the scoop and did not mention that it was Gary Webb who had first broken the story.
Last week, Gary Webb took his own life. Words cannot express our sympathy to his family and to everyone who loved him. And words cannot express our sadness at the terrible loss, to journalism and to the world.
Thursday, January 06, 2005
This piece from Esquire on the death of Gary Webb illustrates just how remarkable Don Wycliff's Trib column is:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- AT LEAST THEY DIDN'T CALL HIM "RICHARD ZORN"
- I BELIEVE THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE
- DOES BLAGO KNOW ABOUT THIS?
- VIOLENCE IS GOLDEN
- MY "SO-CALLED" LIFE
- HE MAKES ERIC ZORN LOOK LIKE BILLY GRAHAM
- "L'État, c'est moi!"
- ARCHPUNDIT IS BACK
- THE NATION'S TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL
- "HAPPY SLAPPING" IS NO JAPE
- BUSH: THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS
- "SMITHERS... ARE THEY BOOING ME?" "UH, NO SIR... T...
- DOES JAMES DOBSON KNOW ABOUT THIS?
- ZORN CRAZY OVER OBAMA
- BUSH II, SHALL PASS
- "THE GIRL WAS UNINJURED"
- "Ahhh... IT'S A PROFIT DEAL! THAT TAKES THE PRESS...
- HOMOPHOBES FAITH IN BUSH SHAKEN
- REPUBLICAN PRIORITIES
- BUT OTHER THAN THAT, PARTY-OF-LINCOLN, HOW DID YOU...
- THE BUSH JOBS AND EDUCATION PROGRAM
- BLAGO MOJO NO-GO
- SOUTH DAKOTA: QUAKER STATE?
- IT'S ALWAYS TEASE TEASE TEASE...
- "UPPER CLASS TWIT OF THE YEAR"
- "BRASH AND MOUTHY"
- SLAM DUNK
- RAY LA-WHO?
- A LANDMARK DAY IN ILLINOIS
- NEXT STOP: BLAGO'S DESK
- $500 APPLE!
- BUSH: BAN ON GAY ADOPTION "APPROPRIATE"
- A VICTORY FOR FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOM
- THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
- THE TRUTH FOR SALE ON THE INTERNETS
- TERROR WAR IN IRAQ
- DEATH SQUADS FOR DEMOCRACY
- BETTER LATE...
- NOW SAY IT A MILLION TIMES
- "THE PARIAH"
- MISREPRESENT, RIDICULE, DISMISS (REPEAT AS NECESSA...
- "HI, I'M RICHARD GERE AND I'M SPEAKING FOR THE ENT...
- EVEL KNIEVEL TO JUMP JUDICIAL HELLHOLE
- EIGHT, EIGHT, THREE
- SWEET: SWEET SUITE
- HASTERT: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT TEXAN BEHIND THE...
- "REFORM" MEANS "PHASE-OUT"
- OBAMA SWEARING IN VIDEO
- SUPPORT GEORGE'S BALLS
- SUSPICIOUS MINDS
- DAY ONE
- HONEST, ABE?
- KENYA PLANS TO CELEBRATE A U.S. SENATOR
- ▼ January (59)