Q: I hear one of the balls will be reserved for troops who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan.via Boing-Boing
A: Yes, the Commander-in-Chief Ball. That is new. It will be about 2,000 servicemen and their guests. And that should be a really fun event for them.
Q: As an alternative way of honoring them, did you or the president ever discuss canceling the nine balls and using the $40 million inaugural budget to purchase better equipment for the troops?
A: I think we felt like we would have a traditional set of events and we would focus on honoring the people who are serving our country right now -- not just the people in the armed forces, but also the community volunteers, the firemen, the policemen, the teachers, the people who serve at, you know, the -- well, it's called the StewPot in Dallas, people who work with the homeless.
Q: How do any of them benefit from the inaugural balls?
A: I'm not sure that they do benefit from them.
Q: Then how, exactly, are you honoring them?
A: Honoring service is what our theme is about.
Tuesday, January 04, 2005
SUPPORT GEORGE'S BALLS
From The New York Times' interview with Jeanne L. Phillips, chair of the Presidential Inaugural Committee (emphasis added):
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- AT LEAST THEY DIDN'T CALL HIM "RICHARD ZORN"
- I BELIEVE THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE
- DOES BLAGO KNOW ABOUT THIS?
- VIOLENCE IS GOLDEN
- MY "SO-CALLED" LIFE
- HE MAKES ERIC ZORN LOOK LIKE BILLY GRAHAM
- "L'État, c'est moi!"
- ARCHPUNDIT IS BACK
- THE NATION'S TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL
- "HAPPY SLAPPING" IS NO JAPE
- BUSH: THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS
- "SMITHERS... ARE THEY BOOING ME?" "UH, NO SIR... T...
- DOES JAMES DOBSON KNOW ABOUT THIS?
- ZORN CRAZY OVER OBAMA
- BUSH II, SHALL PASS
- "THE GIRL WAS UNINJURED"
- "Ahhh... IT'S A PROFIT DEAL! THAT TAKES THE PRESS...
- HOMOPHOBES FAITH IN BUSH SHAKEN
- REPUBLICAN PRIORITIES
- BUT OTHER THAN THAT, PARTY-OF-LINCOLN, HOW DID YOU...
- THE BUSH JOBS AND EDUCATION PROGRAM
- BLAGO MOJO NO-GO
- SOUTH DAKOTA: QUAKER STATE?
- IT'S ALWAYS TEASE TEASE TEASE...
- "UPPER CLASS TWIT OF THE YEAR"
- "BRASH AND MOUTHY"
- SLAM DUNK
- RAY LA-WHO?
- A LANDMARK DAY IN ILLINOIS
- NEXT STOP: BLAGO'S DESK
- $500 APPLE!
- BUSH: BAN ON GAY ADOPTION "APPROPRIATE"
- A VICTORY FOR FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOM
- THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
- THE TRUTH FOR SALE ON THE INTERNETS
- TERROR WAR IN IRAQ
- DEATH SQUADS FOR DEMOCRACY
- BETTER LATE...
- NOW SAY IT A MILLION TIMES
- "THE PARIAH"
- MISREPRESENT, RIDICULE, DISMISS (REPEAT AS NECESSA...
- "HI, I'M RICHARD GERE AND I'M SPEAKING FOR THE ENT...
- EVEL KNIEVEL TO JUMP JUDICIAL HELLHOLE
- EIGHT, EIGHT, THREE
- SWEET: SWEET SUITE
- HASTERT: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT TEXAN BEHIND THE...
- "REFORM" MEANS "PHASE-OUT"
- OBAMA SWEARING IN VIDEO
- SUPPORT GEORGE'S BALLS
- SUSPICIOUS MINDS
- DAY ONE
- HONEST, ABE?
- KENYA PLANS TO CELEBRATE A U.S. SENATOR
- ▼ January (59)