Thousands of U.S. troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with physical injuries and mental health problems are encountering a benefits system that is already overburdened, and officials and veterans' groups are concerned that the challenge could grow as the nation remains at war.Sure the Bush administration is slashing the VA staff, further delaying the disablity pay of soldiers like Sgt. Westbrook, but I am sure we all agree that the sacrifice is worth it to keep from raising the capital gains tax rate.
The disability benefits and health care systems that provide services for about 5 million American veterans have been overloaded for decades and have a current backlog of more than 300,000 claims. And because they were mobilized to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, nearly 150,000 National Guard and reservist veterans had become eligible for health care and benefits as of Aug. 1. That number is rising.
At the same time, President Bush's budget for 2005 calls for cutting the Department of Veterans Affairs staff that handles benefits claims, and some veterans report long waits for benefits and confusing claims decisions.
"I love the military; that was my life. But I don't believe they're taking care of me now," said Staff Sgt. Gene Westbrook, 35, of Lawton, Okla. Paralyzed in a mortar attack near Baghdad in April, he has received no disability benefits because his paperwork is missing. He is supporting his wife and three children on his regular military pay of $2,800 a month as he awaits a ruling on whether he will receive $6,500 a month from the VA for his disability.
Through the end of April, the most recent accounting the VA could provide, a total of 166,334 veterans of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan had separated from military service, and 26,633 16 percent had filed benefits claims with the VA for service-connected disabilities. Less than two-thirds of those claims had been processed, leaving more than 9,750 recent veterans waiting.
Officials expect those numbers to increase as the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan continues.
Sunday, October 03, 2004
Bush v. Troops
The Washington Post looks at the Bush administration's shoddy treatment of the men and women it sent to Afghanistan and Iraq:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- NONE DARE CALL IT "QUAGMIRE"
- Statement From 'Jersey Girls' on Bin Laden Video
- PUTTING THE "ASS" IN AMBASSADOR
- WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE
- GET FIRED UP!
- ONE PEOPLE, ONE COUNTRY, ONE LEADER...
- SEVEN DAYS O' WEAK
- KEYES CAMPAIGN NEWSLETTER
- SPRINGSTEEN APPEARANCE AT KERRY RALLY SWAYS UNDECI...
- A COMMANDER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING HIS TROO...
- DuPAGE DEMOCRATS GET OUT THE VOTE RALLY
- WHAT IS POSTMODERNISM?
- GET YOUR WAR ON #42
- "With all deliberate speed."
- CEGELIS FILES COMPLAINT WITH BOARD OF ELECTIONS
- 2,584 - 8,613 OKLAHOMA CITY-SIZED BOMBS
- REHNQUIST HOSPITALIZED WITH CANCER
- Jon Stewart on C-SPAN
- SENATE DEBATE 2... AS VIEWED ON BIZZARO-WORLD
- "If her husband is one-fourth as good as she is, h...
- A DAMNING COMPARISON
- OCTOBER SURPRISE RESCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER? PT 2
- OCTOBER SURPRISE RESCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER?
- CEGELIS BATTLING BALLOT ERROR
- DELUSIONAL VOTERS SUPPORT DELUSIONAL PRESIDENT
- OBAMA DISCUSSES SUPREME COURT NOMINEES
- CAN WE EXPECT FIREWORKS AT TOMORROW'S SENATE DEBAT...
- "I thought that this would be a fair election, I w...
- Clinton to stump for Kerry
- FLU AS SYMPTOM OF BUSH INEFFECTIVENESS
- KERRY BASHER PUNKS VATICAN
- Bush told Robertson: 'We're not going to have any ...
- High Noon at Sun-Times
- OBAMA MAY SWING SENATE
- 1st AMENDMENT IN PUTIN-IZED AMERICA
- ATTENTION UNDECIDED VOTERS: HIGH TIMES ENDORSES KE...
- Robert Novak Compares George W. Bush to Adolf Hitl...
- .06% Agree with Keyes
- Alan Keyes presents: Circular Reasoning
- Keyes for Senate E-Mail
- Nader's running mate to vote for Kerry
- Magical Thinking II
- Magical Thinking
- Magical Thinking III
- A new day dawns in Chicago suburbs
- "Working together, the ants eat the elephant"
- Wes Clark battles for Melissa Bean
- Paging Dr. Freud. Paging Dr. Freud.
- Worst Obama story ever?
- Leader: Keyes has made millions in Illinois
- "An officer is responsible for everything his troo...
- Support the Troops
- South Dakota garbage shipped to Ohio
- Was I listening to the wrong station?
- Kerry-Obama Symbiosis
- Is that a "Talking Point" in your pocket or are yo...
- Dirty South Dakota GOP
- The Keyes Choice: GOP or God
- Obama on Bush
- Morning Edition Looks at Obama's Sentate Race
- "We don't give a crap. What are they going to do, ...
- In defense of an Ivy League education
- Blago's subconscious to Blago: You need to be more...
- Obama's Springfield Record Examined
- It seems like something significant happens in Iow...
- Your friends and neighbors
- What are they teaching in catechism class these da...
- Cheney: There are way more dead people than that i...
- Barack Obama, Alan Keyes Face Off On City Desk
- I guess it depends on your definition of "met."
- Mark Your Calendar
- The Obama-Keyes Gap May Close
- "It's not your typical neighborly, folksy Midweste...
- Keyes' Website: Keyes Won't Win
- Don't forget about Poland!
- Debating Points
- W: Pride of the Bush Family
- George W. Bush: Standing Tall
- Bush v. Troops
- Jesus wouldn't play Scrabble against Obama
- New York Times looks at the possibility of a frigg...
- Alan Keyes presents Fortress America
- The bounce you heard was Georgie's head on the mat...
- "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, there's no w...
- Keyes in Metropolis
- "I'm trying to put a leash on them."
- ▼ October (89)