"I teach constitutional law, [and] I'm getting to the age now that I actually know some of the people that they are appointing to these courts, " Obama said. "If they didn't go to school with me, they might have taught me ... and I've got strong opinions about the need to have justices who respect civil rights and civil liberties.Dear Lord, Please let Barack Obama vote on John Kerry's nominations to the Supreme Court. Amen.
"I don't have a litmus test, but I do expect that there's a core of constitutional values that are going to be upheld in these next series of appointments, and I suspect that I will have something to say about who's going to shape the legal landscape for the next 40, 50 years."
Asked to name which justices would be good models for the type of people he would want to see working with the next administration, Obama said, "Well, obviously, it depends on if John Kerry is president or if George Bush is president. I think that if John Kerry is president then there's a wider range of justices [whom] I think could do a good job.
"I've always felt that someone like [the late Supreme Court Justice] William Brennan, who [was] a real liberal champion for the courts, was one of our greatest jurists, " he said. "But I also respect ... more conservative jurists ... people like [the late Supreme Court Justice] Felix Frankfurter and others who understood the important role of limiting the court's reach and [were] respectful of the other branches of government. So, you know, I don't have a single line that judges have to toe, but if I get a sense that somebody is being appointed just for ideological reasons as opposed to the quality of their thoughts, then I might have some significant objections."
Thursday, October 21, 2004
OBAMA DISCUSSES SUPREME COURT NOMINEES
Barack Obama will be interviewed on CNN's television special, "Off Topic With Carlos Watson," airing Sunday, 9 pm. In this column by Watson, Obama discusses his views on potential U.S. Supreme Court nominees:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- NONE DARE CALL IT "QUAGMIRE"
- Statement From 'Jersey Girls' on Bin Laden Video
- PUTTING THE "ASS" IN AMBASSADOR
- WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE
- GET FIRED UP!
- ONE PEOPLE, ONE COUNTRY, ONE LEADER...
- SEVEN DAYS O' WEAK
- KEYES CAMPAIGN NEWSLETTER
- SPRINGSTEEN APPEARANCE AT KERRY RALLY SWAYS UNDECI...
- A COMMANDER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING HIS TROO...
- DuPAGE DEMOCRATS GET OUT THE VOTE RALLY
- WHAT IS POSTMODERNISM?
- GET YOUR WAR ON #42
- "With all deliberate speed."
- CEGELIS FILES COMPLAINT WITH BOARD OF ELECTIONS
- 2,584 - 8,613 OKLAHOMA CITY-SIZED BOMBS
- REHNQUIST HOSPITALIZED WITH CANCER
- Jon Stewart on C-SPAN
- SENATE DEBATE 2... AS VIEWED ON BIZZARO-WORLD
- "If her husband is one-fourth as good as she is, h...
- A DAMNING COMPARISON
- OCTOBER SURPRISE RESCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER? PT 2
- OCTOBER SURPRISE RESCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER?
- CEGELIS BATTLING BALLOT ERROR
- DELUSIONAL VOTERS SUPPORT DELUSIONAL PRESIDENT
- OBAMA DISCUSSES SUPREME COURT NOMINEES
- CAN WE EXPECT FIREWORKS AT TOMORROW'S SENATE DEBAT...
- "I thought that this would be a fair election, I w...
- Clinton to stump for Kerry
- FLU AS SYMPTOM OF BUSH INEFFECTIVENESS
- KERRY BASHER PUNKS VATICAN
- Bush told Robertson: 'We're not going to have any ...
- High Noon at Sun-Times
- OBAMA MAY SWING SENATE
- 1st AMENDMENT IN PUTIN-IZED AMERICA
- ATTENTION UNDECIDED VOTERS: HIGH TIMES ENDORSES KE...
- Robert Novak Compares George W. Bush to Adolf Hitl...
- .06% Agree with Keyes
- Alan Keyes presents: Circular Reasoning
- Keyes for Senate E-Mail
- Nader's running mate to vote for Kerry
- Magical Thinking II
- Magical Thinking
- Magical Thinking III
- A new day dawns in Chicago suburbs
- "Working together, the ants eat the elephant"
- Wes Clark battles for Melissa Bean
- Paging Dr. Freud. Paging Dr. Freud.
- Worst Obama story ever?
- Leader: Keyes has made millions in Illinois
- "An officer is responsible for everything his troo...
- Support the Troops
- South Dakota garbage shipped to Ohio
- Was I listening to the wrong station?
- Kerry-Obama Symbiosis
- Is that a "Talking Point" in your pocket or are yo...
- Dirty South Dakota GOP
- The Keyes Choice: GOP or God
- Obama on Bush
- Morning Edition Looks at Obama's Sentate Race
- "We don't give a crap. What are they going to do, ...
- In defense of an Ivy League education
- Blago's subconscious to Blago: You need to be more...
- Obama's Springfield Record Examined
- It seems like something significant happens in Iow...
- Your friends and neighbors
- What are they teaching in catechism class these da...
- Cheney: There are way more dead people than that i...
- Barack Obama, Alan Keyes Face Off On City Desk
- I guess it depends on your definition of "met."
- Mark Your Calendar
- The Obama-Keyes Gap May Close
- "It's not your typical neighborly, folksy Midweste...
- Keyes' Website: Keyes Won't Win
- Don't forget about Poland!
- Debating Points
- W: Pride of the Bush Family
- George W. Bush: Standing Tall
- Bush v. Troops
- Jesus wouldn't play Scrabble against Obama
- New York Times looks at the possibility of a frigg...
- Alan Keyes presents Fortress America
- The bounce you heard was Georgie's head on the mat...
- "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, there's no w...
- Keyes in Metropolis
- "I'm trying to put a leash on them."
- ▼ October (89)