And like it or not, Democrats face the same choice whether they decide to go to the polls or not.
I have pulled the lever over and over since my first vote in 1968 for Republicans. If I was a closet Democrat, I must have hidden it well, especially from myself, since I always beat up on Democrats in my columns. I have called them leftists, socialists, and every other name in the book, because I thought they were flat-out wrong.
And, for the most part, I still do. I am opposed to big government. I have little use for unions. I never liked the welfare plans. I am opposed to weak-kneed defense policies. I have always been for fiscal prudence. I think back to the policies of most Democrats, and I cringe.
So, what in the world has happened?
The Republican Party has changed, and it has changed monumentally.
You almost cannot be a victorious traditional Republican candidate with mainstream values in Johnson County or in Kansas anymore, because these candidates never get on the ballot in the general election. They lose in low turnout primaries, where the far right shows up to vote in disproportionate numbers.
To win a Republican primary, the candidate must move to the right.
What does to-the-right mean?
It means anti-public education, though claiming to support it.
It means weak support of our universities, while praising them.
It means anti-stem cell research.
It means ridiculing global warming.
It means gay bashing. Not so much gay marriage, but just bashing gays.
It means immigrant bashing. I'm talking about the viciousness.
It means putting religion in public schools. Not just prayer.
It means mocking evolution and claiming it is not science.
It means denigrating even abstinence-based sex education.
Note, I did not say it means "anti-abortion," because I do not find that position repugnant, at all. I respect that position.
But everything else adds up to priorities that have nothing to do with the Republican Party I once knew.That's why, in the absence of so-called traditional Republican candidates, the choice comes down to right-wing Republicans or conservative Democrats.
Monday, October 16, 2006
The '06 Choice: Right-Wing or Conservative
This was originally written about Kansas, but I believe this editorial from the Chairman of the Johnson County Sun speaks for many in the Illinois 6th District as well:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- No Way to Treat a Lady
- GOTV ASAP
- Sun-Times to Journalism: We Quit.
- This Does Not Inspire Confidence -- Updated (2X)
- "We're Ashamed the President of the United States ...
- Rep. Hyde: "I heard a dear friend of mine, a great...
- You Can Help Make the 6th District Race a Grassroo...
- "If At First You Don't Succeed -- Try and Try and ...
- It's a Punchin' Kinda Face
- Hastert's Congress: Incompetent, Lazy and Corrupt
- A Tribute to the Speaker
- Letter to 6th District from Wheaton
- Misery, Senate Race
- Sun-Times: Quinn '07
- Stop the GOP Misleadership in Washington
- Right-Wing Cartoonist Accuses Speaker Hastert of C...
- The '06 Choice: Right-Wing or Conservative
- GOP Chickens Coming Home to Roost
- Democratic Tactical Victories Require a Democratic...
- Daily Herald Rejects Roskam, Endorses Duckworth
- Does Absence Make the House Ethics Commitee Grow F...
- The Hastert/Foley Scandal - You Can't Spell "Timel...
- God Bless America
- 6th District Race: Close Enough to Steal?
- Sweet Blog Scoop: House members to ask past and pr...
- Hastert Scandal: Boys 'n' LaHood
- The New Republic: Denny's Deal is Worse than Foley...
- Et Tu, Pete?
- HRC: We Won't Be the GOP's Scapegoats
- Meanwhile, in the 6th District
- Hastert: George Soros Ate My Homework
- WGN on Statement from Hastert's Office: A "Flat Ou...
- I Like Them Odds!
- Obama: Denny Should Be Stripped
- How Will We Break the News to Tom Roeser?
- Fox News: If you can't spin it, just lie.
- And I Believe I'll Have Another Drink.
- The Other Republican Perversion
- NRCC or NAMBLA: Did 100K Buy GOP Silence for Sex ...
- "Alright -- Now hit the showers"
- Roskam's Task: Defending the Indefensible
- I've Heard the Cubs are Hiring...
- Teenage Girl President
- Maybe We're Overthinking This
- Candidates: Don't Forget...
- Is Anyone This Creepy?
- You're Doing a Heck of a Job, Denny!
- GOP Abuse of Power Goes Back Years
- Rich Miller: Illinois Media Chokes on the Big Sto...
- GOP: Guard Our Pedophiles
- Let History Be Your Guide
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2005 (555)