Dear Friends,via TPM Cafe
My name is Nicole Curtis-Torres. I’m a lifelong resident of Wheaton. Some of you may know my brother Master Sergeant Brian Curtis. Brian, like me, grew up in Wheaton and lived here until devoting himself full-time to the United States Army.
I am so proud of my brother – he is my hero. He’s been serving in the military for 20 years – 13 of which have been full-time in the Army. He is about to go back to Baghdad for his second tour. During this tour, he will be leading a team in weapons cache and IED disposal. IEDs have killed and injured so many of our soldiers and my brother works to make Iraq safe for our soldiers.
My brother selflessly puts his life on the line for all of us. He, like all of our soldiers, has made many great personal sacrifices for our country.
We need someone who has served in Iraq, we need someone who has seen the daily fighting in Iraq. Tammy has been there and she understands the sacrifices our Soldiers have made.
While at a coffee in Bloomingdale, I stood up to tell Tammy and the audience about Brian. While talking in front of the group, I became overwhelmed with emotion and began to cry. Tammy got off her chair, walked over and gave me a hug. For the first time, someone understood what I was going through.
Talking with her that night was the first time I was able to talk to someone who understood what it was like to have a loved one serving overseas. It was the first time I felt a connection with someone. Tammy understands how much I miss my brother, how proud I am and how angry I am.
When I talk to Tammy, I’m not talking to a politician – I’m talking to someone who understands how much I miss my brother. Tammy isn’t a politician, she’s a real person who understands what it is like to have a loved one in Iraq.
Talking to her was the first time I could say, “I’m scared as hell.” She understands what I go through everyday. He’s my brother – he’s my hero. This has been my own daily struggle and Tammy understands what it feels like.
Despite political differences, one thing all Americans can agree on is that we are all proud of those who serve in our armed forces. This fall, I will be supporting Tammy Duckworth because she is the type of person we need in Congress – she understands what is going on in Iraq.
Friday, October 20, 2006
Letter to 6th District from Wheaton
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- No Way to Treat a Lady
- GOTV ASAP
- Sun-Times to Journalism: We Quit.
- This Does Not Inspire Confidence -- Updated (2X)
- "We're Ashamed the President of the United States ...
- Rep. Hyde: "I heard a dear friend of mine, a great...
- You Can Help Make the 6th District Race a Grassroo...
- "If At First You Don't Succeed -- Try and Try and ...
- It's a Punchin' Kinda Face
- Hastert's Congress: Incompetent, Lazy and Corrupt
- A Tribute to the Speaker
- Letter to 6th District from Wheaton
- Misery, Senate Race
- Sun-Times: Quinn '07
- Stop the GOP Misleadership in Washington
- Right-Wing Cartoonist Accuses Speaker Hastert of C...
- The '06 Choice: Right-Wing or Conservative
- GOP Chickens Coming Home to Roost
- Democratic Tactical Victories Require a Democratic...
- Daily Herald Rejects Roskam, Endorses Duckworth
- Does Absence Make the House Ethics Commitee Grow F...
- The Hastert/Foley Scandal - You Can't Spell "Timel...
- God Bless America
- 6th District Race: Close Enough to Steal?
- Sweet Blog Scoop: House members to ask past and pr...
- Hastert Scandal: Boys 'n' LaHood
- The New Republic: Denny's Deal is Worse than Foley...
- Et Tu, Pete?
- HRC: We Won't Be the GOP's Scapegoats
- Meanwhile, in the 6th District
- Hastert: George Soros Ate My Homework
- WGN on Statement from Hastert's Office: A "Flat Ou...
- I Like Them Odds!
- Obama: Denny Should Be Stripped
- How Will We Break the News to Tom Roeser?
- Fox News: If you can't spin it, just lie.
- And I Believe I'll Have Another Drink.
- The Other Republican Perversion
- NRCC or NAMBLA: Did 100K Buy GOP Silence for Sex ...
- "Alright -- Now hit the showers"
- Roskam's Task: Defending the Indefensible
- I've Heard the Cubs are Hiring...
- Teenage Girl President
- Maybe We're Overthinking This
- Candidates: Don't Forget...
- Is Anyone This Creepy?
- You're Doing a Heck of a Job, Denny!
- GOP Abuse of Power Goes Back Years
- Rich Miller: Illinois Media Chokes on the Big Sto...
- GOP: Guard Our Pedophiles
- Let History Be Your Guide
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2005 (555)