On issues, the two have staked out clear platforms. Roskam is a conservative Republican on social issues and backs many of the policies of the Bush administration, most notably on the war in Iraq. He does differ from Bush on immigration and the No Child Left Behind education program. Duckworth is a moderate Democrat on social issues and has clear disagreement with the administration on the war. She believes our troops can start to come home if the administration puts money and its efforts in training Iraqi troops to handle their own security. She seeks accountability on the war from the administration to Congress on a regular basis.The Herald endorsement makes it clear: Peter Roskam's brand of authoritarian, fundamentalist hyper-conservatism is out of touch with the families of the 6th District.
We are closer to agreement with Duckworth than with Roskam on the war and several other key issues. She is in favor of the Senate immigration bill that charts a clear pathway to citizenship rather than the House bill Roskam supports that unilaterally and we believe unrealistically would try to send all undocumented immigrants back home.
Roskam is opposed to reinstating the federal assault weapons ban — a stance that puts him at odds even with the conservative Hyde — while Duckworth backs the ban, which expired in 2004. Roskam supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. Duckworth sees the folly in amending the constitution for that issue. Duckworth supports embryonic stem cell research; Roskam is opposed.
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Daily Herald Rejects Roskam, Endorses Duckworth
From your Daily Herald:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- No Way to Treat a Lady
- GOTV ASAP
- Sun-Times to Journalism: We Quit.
- This Does Not Inspire Confidence -- Updated (2X)
- "We're Ashamed the President of the United States ...
- Rep. Hyde: "I heard a dear friend of mine, a great...
- You Can Help Make the 6th District Race a Grassroo...
- "If At First You Don't Succeed -- Try and Try and ...
- It's a Punchin' Kinda Face
- Hastert's Congress: Incompetent, Lazy and Corrupt
- A Tribute to the Speaker
- Letter to 6th District from Wheaton
- Misery, Senate Race
- Sun-Times: Quinn '07
- Stop the GOP Misleadership in Washington
- Right-Wing Cartoonist Accuses Speaker Hastert of C...
- The '06 Choice: Right-Wing or Conservative
- GOP Chickens Coming Home to Roost
- Democratic Tactical Victories Require a Democratic...
- Daily Herald Rejects Roskam, Endorses Duckworth
- Does Absence Make the House Ethics Commitee Grow F...
- The Hastert/Foley Scandal - You Can't Spell "Timel...
- God Bless America
- 6th District Race: Close Enough to Steal?
- Sweet Blog Scoop: House members to ask past and pr...
- Hastert Scandal: Boys 'n' LaHood
- The New Republic: Denny's Deal is Worse than Foley...
- Et Tu, Pete?
- HRC: We Won't Be the GOP's Scapegoats
- Meanwhile, in the 6th District
- Hastert: George Soros Ate My Homework
- WGN on Statement from Hastert's Office: A "Flat Ou...
- I Like Them Odds!
- Obama: Denny Should Be Stripped
- How Will We Break the News to Tom Roeser?
- Fox News: If you can't spin it, just lie.
- And I Believe I'll Have Another Drink.
- The Other Republican Perversion
- NRCC or NAMBLA: Did 100K Buy GOP Silence for Sex ...
- "Alright -- Now hit the showers"
- Roskam's Task: Defending the Indefensible
- I've Heard the Cubs are Hiring...
- Teenage Girl President
- Maybe We're Overthinking This
- Candidates: Don't Forget...
- Is Anyone This Creepy?
- You're Doing a Heck of a Job, Denny!
- GOP Abuse of Power Goes Back Years
- Rich Miller: Illinois Media Chokes on the Big Sto...
- GOP: Guard Our Pedophiles
- Let History Be Your Guide
- ▼ October (51)
- ► 2005 (555)